Mouth cavity :
• Decrease in mouth opening or pain during opening of mouth.
• Changes in colour – red, brown, white or black spots / patches in the mouth
• Raised growth, swelling or lump
• A sore or ulcer which does not heal
• Tingling, burning or numbness in tongue or lip
• Pain anywhere in the mouth
• Painful, sensitive or loose teeth
• Difficulty in swallowing or talking
High Risk Individuals
Who have consumed or consuming tobacco and tobacco products i.e. Gutka, Smoking etc.
Submucous Fibrosis – Inability to open the mouth fully
Erythroplakia (Red Patches)
Leukoplakia (White Patches)
The earlier cancer is detected there are very high chances of cure and complete recovery. It is important to realize that many cancers today are curable.
High risk individuals should be examined 1st by trained surgical oncologist. Subsequent check up can be done, every 2 – 3 monthly or during annual check ups.
Monthly self examination by each and every one of us will go a long way in detecting cancer at the early stage. One can stand in front of large mirror and look for the following : -
• Mouth : Change in colour of gums, lips and cheeks, White, Brown or red patches, ulcer, sore or scab, thickening in any part of the oral cavity.
• Neck : Look for any lump, swelling or any other abnormality.
• If a person cannot open the mouth fully then endoscopic examination should be done.
If you find anything abnormal, record it on a notebook and report it to your doctor. In case everything is normal, RELAX!
The advantage of early detection of cancer is that it can be cured by only surgery or radiotherapy resulting in good functional and cosmetic outcome with decreased cost.